The event, SIGNin’ in the Street, will take place over the weekend of March 17 & 18, 2012 in the Downtown Disney District at the California resort.
It will showcase top Deaf performers and feature interactive workshops, film screenings and appearances by Deaf actor Katie Leclerc and her Switched at Birth cast members for panel question and answer sessions and autograph signings.
Academy Award winning actress Marlee Matlin (Children of a Lesser God) will also make an appearance.
Over the weekend, two Deaf feature films will be shown and include:
- The Hammer, which is a story based on the life of triple NCAA champ and professional mixed martial artist Matt Hamill.
- The award-winning documentary See What I’m Saying, which follows the journeys of four Deaf entertainers over the course of a year.
Stars from these films will host question and answer sessions, sign autographs and perform live.
Other highlights include:
- Musical performances by Tony Award-winning Deaf West Theatre, including a sneak preview of the group’s upcoming world premiere, and workshops for guests interested in learning American Sign Language and acting.
- Drum Café, the internationally acclaimed drumming crew, will super-charge the audience through interactive performances and workshops.
- Nighttime concerts by popular deaf performers including singer-signer TL Forsberg, rock band Beethoven’s Nightmare, and comic CJ Jones.
- Specially created Disney merchandise featuring American Sign Language.
The event kicks off at 1 p.m. both days and continues until 9 p.m. Saturday and 8 p.m. Sunday.
Saturday, March 17
11:30 a.m. to midnight
Film screenings of See What I’m Saying, a multi-award winning documentary, and The Hammer, a biopic based on the life of triple NCAA champ and professional mixed martial artist Matt Hamill. Purchase discounted tickets at the AMC Theater box office.
For periods of time between 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Artist Mary Rappazzo will be autographing a special Mickey ASL (American Sign Language) poster.
1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Q & A sessions, meet-and-greets and autograph signings with the cast from ABC Family’s groundbreaking drama Switched at Birth
Screening at the AMC Theater of 2 episodes of Switched at Birth — plus, an exclusive sneak preview of the spring finale episode.
Sunday, March 18
11:30 a.m. to midnight
Film screenings at the AMC Theater of See What I’m Saying, a multi-award winning documentary
The Hammer, a biopic based on the life of triple NCAA champ and pro wrestler Matt Hamill.
Q & A session on the Westside Stage with Matt Hamill, the filmmakers and 2 stars of The Hammer
After The Hammer Q & A
Matt Hamill will be at the ESPN Zone to sign autographs and challenge fans to games in the Game Zone.
Marlee Matlin (Melody) and Sean Berdy (Emmett) from ABC Family’s Switched at Birth will discuss their characters’ relationship during a Q & A session.
After the Switched at Birth Q & A, there will be a meet-and-greet session with Marlee Matlin and Sean Berdy.